People, especially in Bihar, have to sattu in many forms and sattu sharbet is one of them. In many places people start their day with sattu sharbet it is very filling and refreshing. Sattu is full of protein, fiber, calcium and iron. Sattu has long been used in rural areas to cool down the body. Sattu sherbet or drink is a great summer cooler as it quenches your thirst during summer because it prevents the body from overheating and brings down the body temperature significantly. Due to high in fiber, it is also good for digestion. Sattu also keeps your skin glowing and hydrated. Sattu is a low-glycemic index food and is a great option for diabetics. It is said that drinking chilled sattu sherbet keeps blood sugar levels in control. Sattu also regulates your blood pressure.
Sattu sherbet or drink is made in two ways sweet or salt but my favorite is salty one as I belong to Bihari family and my mother makes salty one since from my childhood so I like the salty one. So in this summer special blog, I want to share my mother’s sattu drink recipe with you.
Ingredients for Sattu drink or sherbet
Sattu – 3-4 tbsp
Water – 1cup (chilled)
Onion – 1(small)
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Black Salt – to taste
Common Salt – to taste
How to Prepared Sattu Drink
- Finely chop the onion and coriander leaves.
- Mix finely chop onion and coriander leaves with other remaining ingredients-sattu, water, lemon juice, roasted cumin powder and black salt and stir well until all ingredients mix well.
Served cold in a glass topped with some coriander leaves and onion. Taste best when served chilled
- Instead of coriander leaves you can use mint leaves to get a different flavor
- You can also increase or decrease the quantity of sattu according to your taste as I like slightly thick sattu sherbet or drink so I add extra sattu in my drink.
- You can also sweet one by adding sugar+sattu+chilled water.