A khaja is a deep-fried sugar coated tempting dessert from Bihar. Khaja is a most popular bihari sweet during wedding celebrations. There is a tradition to give Khaja with other sweets to the daughter when she goes to their in-law’s house just after marriage (Bidai).
Cuisine – Indian
Course – Sweet
Prep time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Total time – 60 minutes
Serving – 10-15 Pcs.
Refined flour(maida) – 100 gm
Ghee – 40 gm
For Ghee paste
Ghee – 2- 3 tbsp
Maida – 4 tbsp
For Frying Khaja
Ghee or Refined Oil for deep frying
For the chasani(sugar syrup)
Sugar – 1cup
Water – 1/2 cup
How to Make Khaja
To knead the dough
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the ghee.
- Mix well with your fingers, till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle water and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside to rest for 15 – 20 minutes.
To prepare Ghee paste
Put the ghee and flour in a small bowl and whisk, till smooth. The paste is
To make the khaja
- Knead the dough again for 1-2 minute.
- Make balls with the dough, about the size of golf balls.
- Roll 4 balls into thin and large chapati/disc or in rectangular shape.
- Dust a little flour on your work surface and place chapati or discs on it. Spread ghee paste on disc or chapati and cover with the second disc.
- Repeat the same process with third and fourth one discs or chapati.
- Spread more ghee paste over the fourth disc or chapati and roll the stack of discs or chapati into its cylinder.
- Cut the cylinder into 1/2 inch piece.
- When you cut you see the multiple layers inside each piece.
- Roll each piece gently into 3 – 4-inch discs.
To Fry the Khaja
- Melt the ghee or oil in a kadhai or wok over moderate heat. Reduce the heat and deep fry till khajas in batches, till golden brown
- When you put khaja into oil, it puffs than with help of two bamboo sticks open it all layers.
- Drain and place on kitchen towels to absorb excess ghee.
- Let them cool.
To prepare the chasani(sugar syrup)
- Put the sugar and water in a deep, heavy-based pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Continue cooking for about 10 minutes without stirring, till the syrup reduces
- Your chasani is ready.
To complete Khaja
- Cool the chasani until it lukewarm
- Dip the khaja into sugar syrup or chasani and take out immediately.
- Put khaja one by one into the sugar syrup and keep it on a plate
How to serve Khaja
Serve the Khaja when they become cold and crisp.