Raj Kachori is also called as the king of all kachoris or a king-sized kachori simply because it is the royal, rich and splendid dish. It is a popular chaat snack from North India. This chaat recipe is simple but this recipe covers both preparations of kachori and assembling of chaat ingredients so it takes time.
The texture of Raj Kachori is more like a puri with a crispy surface the traditional texture of puri does not help to fill stuffing on kachori so it would be more crispy and more puff than puri.
I have added boiled potato and sprouted green gram but you can add boiled chickpea, crushed paapdi or boondi. Making raj kachori is quite a time taken so you can also prepare the stuffing a day earlier like make sweet chutney, green chutney or boiled aloo, chickpea or other dal. You can also prepare kachori one day earlier and keep it in an airtight container and it crispness last long for 1-2 days.
Prep time- 20 minutes
Cooking time- 30 minutes
Total time– 50 minutes
Serving– 16 Pcs.
Ingredients For Raj Kachori
Maida / Refined Flour – 250 gm.
Suji/ / Semolina/ Rava – 50 gm.
Baking Soda – 1/4 Tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp (hot)
Salt- 1/2 Tsp
Water To Knead
Oil For Frying
Boiled & Peeled Potato – 2(chopped in small cubes)
Green Gram Moong Dal – 1/2 cup soaked
Curd – 1 Cup(Well Beaten)
Green Chutney – 1/2 Cup
Imli / Tamarind Chutney – 1/2 Cup
Kashmiri Chill / Red Chilli Powder – 2 Tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder- 2 Tsp
Black Salt / Kala Namak – 1 Tsp
Chaat Masala – 2 Tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander(finely chopped) – 2-3 Tbsp
Gujarati / Nylon Sev – 1 cup
Pomegranate – 1/2 cup
How To Make Raj Kachori
- Mix the 250 gm flour or maida and 50 gm suji in a large mixing bowl. Now add baking soda, salt, and hot oil.
- Mix well all ingredients until it has to crumble texture.
- Add Water and make firm dough and rest for at least 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes again knead the dough and make small 16 balls.
- Take the dough ball and roll it to a 4-5 inch diameter round.
- Do not make the kachoris too thin or to thick. Try to roll evenly.
Frying Raj Kachori
- Heat the oil and add a tiny piece of the dough in the oil. If it comes up gradually the oil is ready to fry the kachoris.
- Now gently put the kachori in the medium hot oil.
- After a couple of seconds, the kachori will come up on the top.
- Now press gently the kachori with a slotted spoon, so that it puffs up.
- Fry the kachori till the base is golden brown and then turn. Fry till the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Turn the kachori 2- 3 times to get an even golden cover.
- Keep them aside on paper kitchen towel so that extra oil should be absorbed.
Assembling and Making Raj Kachori
- Before you start making raj kachori assemble all the chaat ingredients.
- Take one kachori and keep it in a serving plate and break the top crust of the kachori and create enough space.
- First, add some boiled potato small cubes.
- Then, add some soaked moong and then add imli and green chutney.
- Now sprinkle chaat masala, salt, black salt and roasted cumin powder and then add beaten curd.
- Now repeat the same process from 3 to 5.
- Then add pomegranate seed and then sev and then add finely chopped coriander.
- Now again add beaten curd then sev and finely add again some pomegranate seed.
- Finally, finish kachori by sprinkle roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
- Enjoy Raj Kachori.
- You can also make basket /tokri chaat by adding the same ingredient.
- Also add paapdi chaat or boondi or crumbled Dahi Bhalla.
- Always use well-beaten curd otherwise curd have lumps and it is not equally pour on kachori.
- The main part of kachori is puffiness of puri so puri always should puff, otherwise, you cannot fill ingredient as much as you want.
- Try to fill ingredient immediately after frying kachori to avoid sogginess.