But I like fried banana chips. Fried banana chips are usually produced from under-ripe banana slices deep fried in sunflower oil or coconut oil.These chips are dry like potato chips and can be salted, spiced. In India, usually made in the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu and commonly known as “nenthra-kaaya oopperi” or “upperi” in Kerala.
Sweet jaggery-banana chips are called “sharkara upperi” and it is an integral part of the traditional meal called sadya served during the weedings or in the festival such as Onam.
So, I am sharing the recipe of banana wafer or chips.
Raw banana- 3 -4 (big size)
Salt- according to taste
Black pepper powder 1-1/2 Tsp
Red chilli powder (optional)
Oil for frying
Ice cold water
How to make:
- Peel the bananas and immediately soak in ice cold water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, slice the raw banana with slicer and soak in the same ice cold water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes pat dry banana slice with clean kitchen towel till all extra water removed.
- Now mix turmeric and salt in banana slices.
- Now fry banana chips on medium flame till it becomes crisp.
- When banana chips are fried take out in a big plate or bowl and mix black pepper, red chilli powder and chaat masala(optional)
- When they cool down, keep in an airtight container.
- Enjoy banana chips with evening tea or whenever you want to munch something.
Bananas after peeling and slicing should be soaked to ice cold water immediately to preserve freshness and prevent discoloration or surface browning.
|Banana chips or wafers|